Thursday, July 26, 2007

July is waning

Oh, the summer has gone so quickly, and we have not had great weather. It is nice now, but has been cold for the past couple of weeks. And I feel like I have not accomplished anything. Which really doesn't bother me that much, usually, but I had hoped to get some things done. I have enjoyed it, though. I am now a short timer at my store. I am done there at the end of August, and then it will be scary financially, but otherwise it will be good. I am currently working 6 days a week and I am tired. That is just till I am done with the store.

I have acquired yet another chair to reupholster and hopefully sell. I just bought a fabulous new (old) sewing machine that is heavy duty, for upholstering, and it is the most glorious 60's aqua color. It has to work, yes, but it has to look cool, too. It is all about the cool!

I decided I needed to address a few women no-no's. Just because. A disclaimer. I am way overweight, so I am not being a bitch here. Well, maybe I am, but I am in the same weight class.

1- Girls, if you are fat, why would you ever thing spandex, stretchy pants are a good idea??? Just say no!

2 - if you are 5 pounds overweight (please!) quit going on about how fat you are and how you just can't stand it and blah, blah, blah. It gets very old.

3- when you talk about some "really fat girl.guy/whatever/ at the store" your real self is showing and you are talking about me and all your overweight friends. Just don't be nasty. My mother is constantly talking a bout fat stupid people with such hate and contempt and can't figure out why it makes me feel bad. It is because she hates those people, and a part of her hates me.

4- Meanness is not a good thing. It is not cute, or attractive or edgy. It is just mean.

5- Trust yourself. Believe in your choices and beliefs. Don't rely on others to form your opinions. If you feel good about whatever it is, and you can live with your decisions, then go with it. Decide what you believe, and don't think you aren't smart enough to form an opinion. You are.

6- Being helpless is stupid. Learn to count on yourself to take care of yourself. You can be married and never have to rely on only yourself, but you will know you can take care of yourself. Most women will be single for a while and not being secure in your abilities could influence a choice to stay in a bad situation. If you are helpless and pathetic, other people will make fun of you.

7- Not being aware of your financial situation is really stupid. You need to take care of yourself and your future and you will never be sorry if you have money in the bank. And you need to start thinking of money for retire the first day you take a job. Starting young makes it way easier. Most of us hit 40 and then think "Oh my god how will we retire and not be a bag lady." It is scary. Start early. It is very empowering to have smart money habits.

8- Have a hobby beside shopping. Surely there is something you are interested whether a crafty hobby or a political action hobby or reading. Do something beside shop.

9- just try not to be shallow over all. It isn't all about looks, or money or the latest cell phone/car/ outfit. It is about the content of your character and what you leave in your wake.

No comments: