Thursday, August 2, 2007

Green, green, green

I find it so interesting that suddenly, green is in. None of this stuff is new. Some people have been green forever. Some have worried about too much crap and straining the planet for most of their adult lives. I do well in some areas, not so well in others. I probably use less that a roll of paper towels in a year, but I do use paper plates more than I should. I hate doing dishes. But I hate throwing away paper towels and napkins, so I use cloth napkins and cleaning towels. I keep my house reasonable cool in winter, because I was raised by a tightwad dad and now that I pay the electric bill, it makes a lot of sense! I recycle dutifully. I use my library for most of my reading, though I do purchase a lot of books- reference types- as opposed to novels. I read a lot of magazines, but I try to pass them on to friends so many people read them before they go to the recycle place. I have some reusable grocery bags, but I forget to take them with me a lot. I try where I can, and when I can do better, I do.

I was reading a green blog, and there was a question of whether it was more important to eat locally, or to buy from impoverished 3rd world citizens who grow what I need. I believe it is my obligation to patronise my local purveyors of food. I believe we have an obligation to the world, but I believe our first obligation is to our own people. We send aid everywhere, but the people who lived through Katrina are still in need of help. Our government has not helped them as much as they are helping citizens of Iraq. I agree we made the mess in Iraq and have a responsibility there, but I believe we have more of a responsibility to our own people. So, I do not donate to foreign aid organizations. I donate to organizations that help locally, or nationally. I feel that is my responsibility.

I try not to eat very much meat, especially beef, because of the massive amounts of resources that going into producing a pound of beef,and the massive amounts of manure that are produced by the cows and then have to be held in a massive lagoon so it doesn't contaminate our water. I have decided that I can eat what I really want, but I should eat the best quality, organic food available. Which can be much tastier. So I win. Either way.

So we all do what we can, and try not to judge people who make different decisions than we make. And perhaps between all of us, it will do some good.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Ginnie, dahling,

Go to Live at the Gay agenda and get in the moovie
http://grandpalace.blogspot.com/2007/08/skuze-me-new-filum-kink-of-hearts-3-d.html

I'm a hooker!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.