Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This Day

It is Tuesday, September 11. Six years ago today, our world and world view changed. I won't say it has changed my life in a tangible manner, as I live out in the boonies and no bomb is going to be aimed in my space. It has made me worry that we have not learned from it. It worries me that Bush, in his attention deficit way, gave up on searching for Bin Laden before he even really started. I worry that people forget the people who died, and no longer really care. And it makes me sad.

I think that probably not a day goes by that I don't think of 9/11 at some point in my day. I don't dwell on it, or worry about it, but I do thinking of it often and just remember. Right after it, Oprah had some survivors on it and then a year later, and there was a woman named Debbie or Debra, that literally could not function. She was in one of the towers and she barely escaped, with little injuries, thankfully, but she was so traumatized by it, she could not function on a day to day basis. I hope when the money was being doled out the the families of the dead, that someone was also thinking of those that lived and that they were also given financial assistance. Yes, they lived, but at what emotional cost. And I worry that on top of the memories and survivor's guilt and terror, they also have to suffer financially.

And so, on this day in our history, I try to remember the love and grief and sense of community and connectedness and everything else that happened in the near aftermath of that, and not see the horrid divisiveness, and meanness that has overtaken us and made the world hate us.

No comments: