Saturday, September 8, 2007

September

I am blessed to live in the land of beautiful Septembers. No matter if we have had a bad weather summer or not, September is always nice. We wake up the day after Labor day and it is Fall. Crisp air, sunshine that is lovely and warm and not too hot. All the tourists are gone, and we have a month of lovely quiet and calm, and summer remnants. I am a sort of love the one you're with kind of girl and each season is my favorite at the time it is here. Winter not so much, but all 3 of the others I love the best as they come. Spring, I love the promise of warmth and longer days. Summer I love the promise of flowers and gardens and ice cream. And fall I love the coming crisp air and chilliness and coming of soup season. There is a tree in front of my store- er, the store formerly known as mine, that, come fall, just glows. It is a brilliant light yellowy gold and about every other year, I would swear it makes it's own light, it is so brilliant. The other years it is just pretty, but when it is amazing, oh!

As much as I have come to dislike the winters here, the first snow is always a beautiful thing. If it is a big snow, more than a couple of inches, it creates a lovely glow and a hush over everything and everyone acts a little different. We are all filled with a little bit of wonder. I don't mind the snow. But we tend to get non-stop gray and drizzle, and dark. SO the snow is a joy. People act differently and get all happy and helpy to each other.

I cannot lie. I would way rather be in my new town this winter, but if I am not, it will be ok, because I won't be at my store, either. My time will come and I will welcome it when it does. So, until then, I will be here, in the town I have been in for 17 years, where I know everyone and I will be fine.

No comments: