Sunday, May 27, 2007

Big pink cupcake

I have a girlfriend who was diagnosed a few months ago, to have breast cancer. She had a mastectomy within 2 weeks and chemo started shortly thereafter. She is a single mom of 3 young boys with little or no help from their dads. She can't work right now and her funds are limited. We live in a tiny little town, and she is well loved and has lots of support. She works in a popular restaurant, and the restaurant has been buying her food when they get stuff for the shop. A few generous customers have been supporting her monthly with bank account deposits. And a handful of us are putting together a fundraiser/party for her in June. We are having a Mardi Gras theme, because she did not want pink! We have lots of good stuff to auction off, and we, the organizers, decided we would wear costumes. So, I thought I needed a big pink bee hive hairdo, and I could make it out of tulle. I went on ebay, and wound up buying a non beehive, hot pink wig. Then I decided I needed a prom dress look. I am quite overweight, so if I tried to do the prom dress look, I would look like a giant pink cupcake. So, I decided I would embrace the cupcakedness, and make a pink dress with yards and yards of pink tulle. That is my task on this rainy day. I will let you know how it works.

I also have 2 upholstery jobs and I need to make some sample cushions to see what I think the style should be. I was panning to paint my shutters, but it is raining, but that will help with the inside jobs. I am predicting there will be glue involved in the dress. It only has to hold up for one night!

No comments: