Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Tagged

I have been tagged by Sue Woo. I am to tell you my 3 favorite books. I am a voracious reader and there are tons to choose from. I am not sure I can limit it to 3, though.

My very, very, very favorite is Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver. I was not a huge fan of The Bean Trees or Pigs in Heaven, but Animal Dreams really spoke to me. I was really able to feel the story and Cosima's feeling of not belonging. Both of my sisters disliked it and one of them had a whole spiel about the noble savage and such nonsense. I have told people that I just love it and want to carry it around with me and have it be my friend. Dorks r us.

My next favorite is The Bone People. It is hard to say it is a favorite because that implies that I liked it. It was not something you like, but it was compelling, and haunting and horrific and very, very powerful. It haunted me for months and that is not an exaggeration.


I also really loved and felt Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams. She weaves together a story in a way that I have never seen, or read, done before and it is such a lovely, touching book. It is not a novel- more of an accounting of her family history and an environmental issue. Lovely, lovely book.

And because I can't really stop at just 3, I will add some more. I adore Elizabeth Berg, starting with Talk Before Sleep, which is one of the loveliest stories of women's friendship I have every read. It touched me very deeply. If you want to laugh your ass off, read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. They are technically mysteries, but that is sort of incidental. They are laugh out loud funny. And a light, pretty fast read. Unfortunately, her romance series is nowhere near as funny. Don't bother with them. I will admit that in the last 4 years, following a divorce, I have had a harder time reading fiction. I read lots of political stuff, and figure out how to retire without being a bag lady, when you only make $10 an hour, and are self employed stuff and the standard post divorce reading list. I am starting to read again, now and I am really thrilled.

If you are reading this, consider yourself tagged.

No comments: